Monday, July 13, 2009

The Beauty of Silver and Gold

Dark colored envelopes -- chocolate brown, fire engine red, navy blue and black -- seem to be a popular selection this season. Clients often request white or yellow ink which often come out pasty looking.

My recommendation is always "go gold" or silver! There are great metallic pens that give vibrant glittering metallic lettering. Although these pens require great skills and control for even a calligrapher.

Before you order dark envelopes go to a shop like Paper Presentations on 18th Street in Manhattan or JAM! on 44th and Fifth Avenue and buy a few envelopes to experiment with. Also beware that a calligrapher will charge you more per envelope because they will have to measure and line the envelopes with a pencial a ruler because they can't use a light box to show lines through.

Play with dark paper and a metalic pen to make sure that's the choice you want to make.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more..Gold and Silver (and black) are classics! After viewing your work and actually observing you do it I know I can trust you with any calligraphy I need done. And I feel confident to recommend you to others.

    ReplyDelete